OSTEOPOROSIS is defined as conditions of skeletal fragility as a result of low bone mass. Here bone which has become more porous, and less dense and has a honey comb appearance. Bone will be weak and brittle. Body parts most commonly affected in osteoporosis are spine, hip and wrist. Today i would be throwing light on osteoporosis of the spine and vertebrae. Vertebrae are the functional unit of the spinal column. Bone which is osteoporotic may cause fracture easily after trivial fall, mild stress and even sometimes when there is sudden bending of the body.
There are 2 KINDS of osteoporosis
Postmenopausal and senile or old age osteoporosis
Symptoms of osteoporosis are:
- You may experience Back pain or Neck pain
- Some people may have Loss of height of the body
- If neurological structures are compromised they may develop weakness in limbs
- They may adapt to a Stoop/Bent Posture
Risk Factors of osteoporosis are:
- Women especially post menopausal
- Family history of osteoporosis
- Person having Small body stature/small bone frame
- Poor or malnutrition
- After gastrectomy surgery prone to osteoporosis
- Patients who are on steroids
- Excessive alcohol consumption is risk factor
- Chronic smoking can cause osteoporosis
- Medical condition which are risk factors to osteoporosis are – like Hyperthyroidism, Inflammatory bowel disease, Malignancies, Rheumatoid arthritis.
What Complication osteoporosis ca
Most commonly Trivial trauma can cause – Spinal wedge fracture or osteoporotic compression fracture. The patient may develop paraplegia which is weakness of limbs – If spinal cord and nerve root is compressed.
How osteoporosis can be Prevented?
These measures help in keeping you healthy and thereby preventing the development of osteoporosis.
Consume food rich in protein – proteins are the building blocks of body.
- VEGETARIAN food like Legumes, Nuts, Butter, Milk, Cheese, Soya, Yoghurt.
- NON VEGETARIAN food like Meat, Poultry, Fish, Eggs, Tofu.
- OTHER FOODS rich in Calcium, Vitamin D, Iron and Potassium.
What not to do to prevent Osteoporosis?
- Alcohol – delays bone healing.
- Excessive salt – makes loss of calcium in urine.
- Coffee – slows bone healing and make to loose calcium in urine.
- Quit smoking.
Regular exercises like walking, jogging, swimming,
Fall prevention to avoid stress fracture from osteoporosis especially in elderly
- They are Wearing glasses
- Non slippery mats on floor
- Anti squid flooring in bath room and shower
- Adequate lighting
- Clean up spills immediately
- Hand rails in stair case and washrooms
- Keeping the house neat and tidy and ensuring all the things are kept in its right place
- Non skid footwear
- Take the regular medications correctly
** this video is made for educational purpose, content and images are used. Any objections please mail us we will remove the contents.
Our expert Neuro team at Neurowellness in Bengaluru provides consultation and treatment to all neuro problems.
Brain and Spine Clinic
#1224, Ground-Floor, 26th Main, Jayanagar 9th Block
BANGALORE – 560069
+91 72596 69911
+91 73490 17701