- Ischemia – caused by clot
- Hemorrhage – caused by a rupture
- TIA (Transient ischemic attack) – caused by a temporary blockage
1,85,000 – strokes happen each year.
About 1 in 4 stroke survivor is at risk for another.
The good news– upto 80% of second~ clot – related (ischemic) strokes may be preventable.
Reduce your risk – consult your Neurosurgeon in Bangalore and take Advanced Stroke treatment in Bangalore to prevent another stroke, which may include managing high BP, cholesterol, losing weight and discussing on consuming aspirin or any other medicine regimen tailor made according to the patient.
The longer the stroke goes untreated, the greater the chance of lasting disability.
Learn to spot the warning signs.
F – Facial drooping
A – Arm weakness
S – Speech dysfunction
T – TIME to call
Risk factors of stroke:
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease Diabetes
- Obesity and unhealthy eating OCP (oral contraceptive pill) Previous stroke and TIAS
- Binge drinking and substance misuse.
Endovascular treatment – Stroke Surgery:
Endovascular treatment is a type of minimally invasive stroke surgery, that removes blood clots from blocked arteries.
Once a stroke happens, the sooner the neurointerventionist restores blood flow the greater the chances of a favourable recovery.
Neurointerventionalists are doctors who are specialized in treating vascular diseases of the brain and spine such as stroke and aneurysms, using minimally invasive approach. Endovascular treatment – is the most effective stroke treatment for patients with large vessel occlusions. This break through treatment has potential to improve the lives of the 15 million people who suffer strokes worldwide each year.
Reference ED Macculey, PHD, VICE president, university of Calgery
87% of the strokes are ischemic, caused by a clot in the brain.
5 year – Improved life expectancy of ischemic stroke patients who receive endovascular treatment
Endovascular treatment can reduce stroke mortality by half, meaning thousands more people can walk away from stroke if they get the right care.
Despite endovascular treatment proven outcomes, few patient receive it. This is the most significant and fundamental change in acute ischemic stroke treatment in the last 20 years. These results will impact stroke care around the world.
Michael Hill. MD Proffesor, University of calgaus and director.
Alberta health services.
Less than 10% of ischemic stroke patients receive endovascular treatment. Interestingly, the most effective treatment for large vessel occlusion stroke patients is endovascular treatment.
Stroke cost may goes up very high each year, but rapid access to endovascular treatment could save billion lives.
Policies and regulations that guide stroke treatment vary widely by state.
Together we can strengthen stroke management system so that patients nationwide have access to endovascular treatment and the best possible chances of recovery
Key facts about stroke
- 1 in 6 people will have a stroke in their life time.
- 1.9 million brain cells die per minute Spot the signs of stroke – FAST.
- Stroke world wide- Silent killer
- Second most common cause of death worldwide, it is a significant cause of chronic disability
- Every 6 seconds stroke kills someone.
- 2 million neurons are lost per hour– 3.6 years of brain age. Outcome following stroke is correlated to successful re-perfusion.
Stroke facts – WHO
Stroke devastates lives around the world
- 17 millions strokes
- 6.5 million deaths
- 26 millions survivors
The right care makes a difference, but people are not getting the stroke treatment they need –
- Specialized stroke units increase the chance of good outcome by 14%
- Clot busting drugs increases the chances of good outcome by 30%
- Clot retrieval treatment increase the chance of a good outcome more the 50%
Get ahead of stroke:
- Every 40 seconds a person has a stroke.
- The right treatment can be the difference between life and death.
- Stroke kills almost 1,30,000 Americans each year. It is a leading cause of death and and also causes long term disability in the U.S.
- Every 4 minutes some one dies from stroke in the U.S.
- In 500,000 + the number of people needed rehabilitation after a stroke.
- Emergency stroke assessment tools Initial assessment
This is a New modality of interventional stroke treatment, where mechanical force is applied to remove the clot by aspiration or by approaching through basket like device (stent retriever)