- WE WILL KNOW ABOUT WHAT IS CONCUSSIVE HEAD INJURY?
- SYMPTOMS OF CONCUSSIVE HEAD INJURY?
- WHAT SYMPTOMS YOU SHOULD NOT NEGLECT EVEN AFTER CONCUSSION!
- COMPLICATIONS OF CONCUSSIVE HEAD INJURY.
- MANAGEMENT OF HEAD INJURY.
- SPORTS AND CONCUSSION.
- GENERAL TIPS OF CONCUSSION.
Today we will know about concussive head injury.
Concussion is a milder form of traumatic brain injury. 75% of the traumatic brain injuries include concussions. Concussions can occurs due to direct impact over the head most common reasons are – road traffic accident, fall from height, collisions or assault and sudden whiplash injury(that is sudden flexion and extension movements).
Actually concussion means SHAKE VIOLENTLY in Latin(concutere). After the impact, Brain will temporarily stop functioning.
Children also can have concussion like in adults, most common causes in them are fall from height, sports related, road traffic accidents and child abuse.
Interesting thing to note about concussive head injury is –
- It is a low velocity trauma
- Loss of consciousness may not be present always
- It will not cause permanent injury
- It is not life threatening but its symptoms need treatment with the neurosurgeon Bangalore.
Secondary Concussions are more serious and dangerous. Secondary concussion means once primary concussion already present, again one more concussion if person suffers – which may happen with boxing and wrestling where repetitive injuries are common.
1. What is concussive head Injury?
Concussive head Injury is an injury that occurs after direct trauma to head or Violent shaking of the head and upper body. This can also occur as a result of rapid acceleration-deceleration of the head as in whiplash injuries or blast injuries in war zone. There will be movement of the brain tissue within the rigid skull surrounded by the brain fluid called CSF-cerebrospinal fluid. There will be transient physiological dysfunction of the brain wherein the brain will not function for sometime, which results in symptoms.
2. What are the symptoms of concussive head injury?
- Loss of consciousness.
- Transient Amnesia ( memory loss ) – for a period of few minutes to hours there will be memory loss. May occur before the impact or after the impact to head. Antgade amnesia and retrograde amnesia.
- headache, Vomiting
- Seizures – may occur immediately or few minutes to days after the impact.
- Giddiness – injury to balancing centre can cause balancing problems and difficulty in walking.
- Weakness in limbs.
- Visual dysfunction
- Loss of taste and smell
- Hypersensitivity to light
3. Can a person have normal memory after concussive head injury?
Yes, even though few people can have some irritability, behavioural problems, most of the time,as time passes the person can have normal memory and most of the patients fully recover after the concussion. Even I had concussive head injury few years ago and I am normal now.
4. What are the complications of head injury /or post concussive syndrome?
- Focusing problem/concentration problem
- Sleep dysfunction-insomnia
- Excessive drowsiness for days to weeks
- Personality changes
- Memory disturbance.
- Post traumatic stress syndrome.
4. What are the investigations advised by the Neurosurgeon in Bangalore?
- You will need Brain imaging – most commonly CT scan BRAIN and when CT scan is contraindicated like in pregnant women
- MRI is advised since MRI is safe in pregnancy.
- This will be normal in concussive head injury.
Physical examination – assess level of consciousness, checking pupils, eye movements, power of limbs and also need to inspect for cut wound over the head and neck.
Most of the time – Require neuro monitoring, with medications including analgesics, antacids and antiemetics and vitamins. Antibiotics are advised if there is any open wound.
6. Head injury in Sports
Sports has a risk of concussion due to head injury. It is necessary to wear protective gear like helmet and Shield. Wearing helmet reduces 85% of head injury. It can occur with Baseball and softball
- Foot ball – CTE – Chronic traumatic encephalopathy may found in old foot ball players
- Snow boarding
- Horseback riding
- Powered recreational driving
- Bull riding
- Martial arts
7. Even after mild head injury – if you are having any of these symptoms one should not neglect.
The symptoms include
- People who are taking blood thinners
- If person having Persistant headache
- Person Becoming more irritable
- Persisting vomiting after few days
- Persisting memory disturbance
- Persons who have consumed alcohol or on recreational drugs need to immediately seek medical help following injury
8. General tips
- Supervision of younger children
- Wearing Seat belt while in car
- Follow the rules of swimming pool or water park
- Please do not to dive in shallow water less than 12 feet
- Some cloths can interfere with vision – Do not wear. wear clothes that interfere with vision
- If your sleep is not good or if you have inadequate rest, don’t participate in sports
- Obey traffic rules
- Don’t wear compromised sport equipment.
- Wear helmet
- Do not drink and drive
- Do not text while driving/walking
- Don’t do wheeling – common in youngsters for fun.
- Do not Involve in physical fights.
** this video is made for educational purpose, content and images are used. Any objections please mail us we will remove the contents.
Our expert Neuro team at Neurowellness in Bengaluru provides consultation and treatment to all neuro problems.
Brain and Spine Clinic
#1224, Ground-Floor, 26th Main, Jayanagar 9th Block
BANGALORE – 560069
+91 72596 69911
+91 73490 17701
Disclaimer: This information is not meant to be a substitute for professional medical advice. The reader is advised to always seek the advice of a physician prior to changing any treatment or to receive answers to questions regarding a specific medical condition.