1. What is lumbar fixation?
It is a neuro spine procedure to stabilize the spinal column which is damaged. Fixation can be done using rods, plates, and cages.
2. When spinal fixation is advised?
It is advised in cases where a patient has severe pain may be in the neck, back causing neurological problems and damaging to the neural elements in the spinal column where it is compromising the stability of the spine.
3. What are the conditions in which spinal fixation is advised?
- Cervical disc prolapse
- After cervical laminectomy
- Lumbar listhesis
- Lumbar spondylosis
- Pott’s spine
4. What are the materials/hardware used?
In the beginning when spinal fixation are started steel was being used.
In recent years titanium rods, titanium cages, PEEK cages, titanium mesh are used.
5. What are the common different procedures performed?
- Lateral mass fixation
- Disc replacement etc
6. What are the complications in spinal fixation?
- Nerve root injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Implants failure
- But in recent years all these complications are very slim due to advances in medical science!
At NeuroWellness you will get the best and cost-effective treatment for spine related problems by the Best spine surgeon in Bangalore.
Brain and Spine Clinic
#1224, Ground-Floor, 26th Main, Jayanagar 9th Block
BANGALORE – 560069